JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia — Solution One chauffeurs took to the track in Saudi Arabia as scheduled Saturday after receiving “comprehensive assurances” of their security a day after an attack on the kingdom by Yemen’s Houthi rebels.

F1 confirmed racing would go on with the third practice and certifying session on Saturday followed by Sunday’s race regardless of the attack on an oil depot situated about 11 kilometers (seven miles) from the racetrack. Friday’s attack took place throughout the very first practice, and the 20 motorists satisfied in talks that stretched previous 2 a.m. to go over security issues.

“Yesterday was a tough day for Solution One and a demanding day for us Formula One chauffeurs,” the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association said in a declaration Saturday. “We entered into long conversations between ourselves, with our team principals, and with the most senior people who run our sport. A large range of viewpoints were shared and discussed.”

Ferrari group principal Mattia Binotto stated it was “essential to listen to motorists” however that the decision to continue was proper.

“It has actually been a long night however first let’s focus on the truths. We know that it’s not the first time it’s taking place in this country and in this area,” he stated. “Leaving the country would simply not have actually been the right option.”

Binotto said Ferrari’s entire group accepted remain.

“No one has left and nobody has asked to leave,” he said.

The other group principals who resolved the media Saturday– Andreas Seidl (McLaren), Guenther Steiner (Haas), Jost Capito (Williams) and Mike Krack (Aston Martin)– also stated no motorists or team members had actually asked to leave. However they all stated they would not have been stopped if they had asked to.

“You can’t require somebody to drive who’s unpleasant,” Krack said.

In an earlier declaration, F1 and governing body FIA confirmed that “following conversations with all the groups and drivers,” the grand prix “will continue as scheduled.”

“Following the commonly reported incident that happened in Jeddah on Friday, there has been extensive discussion between all stakeholders, the Saudi federal government authorities and security agencies who have provided complete and comprehensive guarantees that the occasion is safe,” the statement stated.

F1 added that it has actually been concurred “with all stakeholders to keep a clear and open discussion throughout the event and for the future.”

The top 3 chauffeurs talk to the media after qualifying and group principals.

The Houthis acknowledged the attacks on Friday evening and Saudi Arabia state television called it a “hostile operation.” The Jiddah oil depot emerged in flames when attacked throughout Friday’s first practice session. It caused a raging fire that rattled the chauffeurs enough to hold remarkable talks relating to F1’s existence in Saudi Arabia.

Many drivers expressed their issues about racing in the region and Saudi Arabia’s human rights record when F1 ran its inaugural event at the circuit last December. Now back at the track a little over 3 months later on, stress are increased amidst the attacks.

Conversations in between drivers, team principals and F1 president Stefano Domenicali late into Friday night centered on safety and security conditions.

Friday’s second practice was delayed 15 minutes since of an earlier chauffeur meeting that included Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the newly-elected FIA president.

Race promoter Saudi Motorsport Company said earlier Friday that the weekend schedule had not been changed. Motorists were only leaving the track simple hours prior to they was because of return.

The attack targeted the North Jiddah Bulk Plant, the exact same fuel depot the Houthis had attacked 5 days earlier. The plant is just southeast of the city’s worldwide airport, an important hub for Muslim pilgrims heading to Mecca.

The plant stores diesel, gasoline and jet fuel for usage in the kingdom’s second-largest city. It represents over a quarter of all of Saudi Arabia’s products and also provides fuel vital to running a regional desalination plant.

The Houthis have actually twice targeted the North Jiddah plant with cruise missiles. One attack came in November 2020. The 2nd attack was Sunday as part of a wider barrage by the Houthis.

An Associated Press photojournalist covering Friday’s first practice saw smoke increasing in the range to the east, just after 5:40 p.m. local time and about 20 minutes from the end of very first practice. As the flames increased, the tops of the tanks of the bulk plant were clearly noticeable.

“On seeing the smoke from the incident it was tough to stay a fully focused race driver and eliminate natural human concerns,” the drivers’ association stated.

Likewise, a Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen unleashed a barrage of airstrikes on Yemen’s capital and a tactical Red Sea city, authorities said Saturday. The over night airstrikes on Sanaa and Hodeida– both held by the Houthis– followed the attack by rebels on the oil depot in Jiddah.


More AP automobile racing